Monday, June 06, 2005

 

Learning to sail

One of our readers enjoyed the sailing blogging (here and here), so we continue our voyage with a discussion of sailing lessons. In the States, two organizations dominate keelboat sailing lessons, the American Sailing Association and US Sailing. Both offer curricula and certified instructors to teach budding sailors, and the resulting certification is akin to a driver's license that can be used as a credential to charter a bareboat.

My wife and I have taken ASA courses, starting with 101 and 103 at Torresen Marine in Muskegon, Michigan. I continued on with Bareboat Chartering 104 at Fairwind Sailing in Chicago with Ben Sells. The courses were a combination of hands-on sailing and coursework in the rules of the road, boat terminology and workings, and navigation, and the courses did result in my being able to lease a boat. Once you've got your ticket, it is possible to charter boats all over the world from organizations such as Sunsail and others.

So, if you're looking for a break from the rigors of genetic algorithms, consider learning how to sail today.

Comments:
Hallo!!

Nice idea for a GA break, but I don't like too much boats and other things like that. What I really wonder about is to learn surfing, but not surfing on normal waves at the sea, but Surfing on Pororoca, because a Pororoca wave can last sometimes until six minutes and, the most interesting, the wave is not at the sea, but at Amazon River, "very" near (150 Km) from where I live (The Amazon River's Delta).

See You!!

Nosophorus
 
Hi,

I'm sorry for being intrusive in to your blog. But I am Melissa and I am a mother of two that is just trying to get out of an incredible financial debt. See my hubby is away in Iraq trying to protect this great country that we live in, and I am at home with our two kids telling bill collectors please be patiant. When my husband returns from war we will beable to catch up on our payments. We have already had are 2001 Ford repossessed from the bank, and are now down to a 83 buick that is rusted from front to back and the heater don't work, and tire tax is due in November.

I'm not asking for your pitty because we got our ownselfs into this mess but we would love you and thank you in our prayers if you would just keep this link on your blog for others to view.

God Bless You.

Melissa K. W.
To see my family view this page. My Family

TV Central - Download full TV shows and series, newest movies, plus other downloads. Watch TV and movies online. Burn Them right to Blank CD's and watch them over and over again.

Messenger City - 10,000+ emoticons - Use Yahoo, MSN, ICQ and AIM all in one, skins, nicknames, bots, add-ons, emoticons, avatars and smilies.

Baja música gratis ahora. Busca y encuentra MP3, Películas, Software y más. Downloads ilimitados, Quema CDs & DVDs.
 
I just bookmarked your blog. I will try to post often.

Do you think gas pricing is ever going to go down? I founds some gas saving tips at espn sports news


Keep in touch :)
 
Nice post. job bank canada
 
Create any type of website with the ease of use of a simple word processor!project management softwareproject management software
 
**HYDROPONICS**
 
You have an awesome site here! I have a website that may interest you- Home Innovations with get content such as- Home Innovations
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?