Wednesday, February 02, 2005

 

Why let law profs have all the fun?

Like many Americans, I became hooked on the blogosphere during the 2004 Presidential election cycle. In my own case, my daily fix consisted of reading HughHewitt, Instapundit, Polipundit, Captainsquartersblog, and Powerlineblog. I almost OD'd on news/commentary aggregators and electoral vote trackers such as realclearpolitics and electoral-vote. As I read through many of the commentary blogs, I came to realize that many of the pajamahadeen were lawyers, and many of those taught in law schools.

The blogs during the election were an impressive display. Lone critics connected from their laptops to other citizens through the magic of the modern web, holding candidates, the mainstream media (MSM), and each other accountable for inaccuracy, spin, and flat-out lies. It also looked like great fun: freelance writers and researchers, writing and researching, largely for fun, not profit, motivated by the leverage of influencing their countrymen. During the election, I told my wife that "I can do that," but to take on a blog requires discipline, and I wasn't sure what to blog about.

I resisted the temptation for as long as I could, and as I sat thinking during Christmas break about upgrading my laboratory's website (IlliGAL) I came to know exactly what I had to do. I needed to get my lab blogging on genetic algorithms, and we needed to make the blog the centerpiece of the site. To this point, we've only been able to get up on Blogger, but eventually we plan to host our own blog using Wordpress, and after we are hosting our own blog, we will integrate the blog into the home page as part of major overhaul of the website.

In so doing, we believe we will continue to get the 500 or so visitors who come to IlliGAL looking for tech reports and code each day, but we also hope to inform, teach, interact, and link with the community of genetic algorithms and evolutionary computation as well as newcomers who want know more about GAs, how they work, and how they can be used.

My short sojourn through the blogosphere has been a blast, first as a reader and now as a contributor. The immediacy of publishing at a push a button, beats the heck out of the academic publication cycle with its tedious submission, review, revision, and more review. The informality and the freedom of being able to take a subject where you want to because you want to is liberating in a way that is hard to describe. So what are you waiting for? If you've said, "I can do that," you're right, you can. Why not hop on the web, take five minutes, signup for a Blogger account, and start blogging? You'll find out what the lawyerbloggers and all the rest found out some time ago, and even if you don't reach thousands, you'll get what you're thinking into the written word, and maybe, just maybe, an interested person will read it. And when you get that first post up and running, why not drop us line and give us (www.illigal.blogspot.com) a link?

Comments:
David,
Good to hear of your discovery of the blogosphere. There is a part of it that is not public, behind corporate firewalls, that continues the discussion. I have passed your address to proponents of modeling in that space, and have already received several comments about the usefulness of the stream of information. We have, of course, had web sites since the early 90s, but there is something fresh and interesting about weblogs ... Many people would just not visit web sites on an ongoing basis. A blog, with refreshed content has an immediacy that cannot be matched. It is, of course, content hungry, which is not always easy to feed. Thanks again for starting this blog. I look forward to continue to read it.
 
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a web hosting php mysql site. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.


Come and check it out if you get time.
 
Hey, you have a great blog here!

I have a web hosting email site/blog. It pretty much covers ##WEB HOSTING## related stuff.We offer everything from business to personal web hosting. Packages starting at $3.95 a month. No setup fees. Low cost domain registration, SSL certificates, merchant accounts and web design.

Come and check it out if you get time.
 
Hello,
You have a great blog here!

Life is the only time where you get the test before the lesson.

I have a web hosting php mysql site. It pretty much covers ##WEB HOSTING## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time.
 
Well written blog on design maintenance site web I have a related blog on design maintenance site web
 
DB Multimedia re launches cheap internet hosting its new site will tons of cool webmaster design tips and "KEYWORD" information for you to increase your websites usability.
 
free and easy internetjob for everybody in the world List Building and Blog Techniques
 
Just visited your blog, it's great. I have a domain free hosting name registration web
website which is informative and you can find info of different domain free hosting name registration web
, hope that it will be useful.
 
to all of the major RSS feed directories on the Internet.
 
a lot of premium products and services being offered for free. What’s best is that there is a seemingly
 
GROW IT YOURSELF!
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Great blog you have my friend..

I have a business income opportunity site. Pretty much related to this site.

Drop by and take a look..

Warmest Regards.
 
Hi, I saw that you have a blog about small business web site hosting and wanted to encourage you because I also have a blog about small business web site hosting.

Keep up the good work in providing this resourceful service!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?