Sunday, February 20, 2005

 

Peirce, Burks, and GAs

I just saw Rob Smith's nice post on Peirce. Given the connections Rob makes, it should come as little surprise that genetic algorithms have an interesting intellectual lineage vis a vis Peirce. John Holland, genetic algorithm pioneer, was the first PhD in Communication Science (later Computer and Communications Science) at Michigan. Holland's dissertation advisor was Arthur W. Burks. Burks worked on the original ENIAC



(I believe Burks is the gentleman seated in the picture, but I can't confirm this in any of the web sources I could find) and founded Michigan's Logic of Computers Group. But Art Burks is also a Peirce scholar and edited the final two volumes of Harvard's Collected Papers of C. S. Peirce (see here) . Here is a listing of some of Art Burks's other books.

Comments:
Most interesting David ... I recently read Arthur Burks book on the computer pioneer John Atanasoff. Recommended, but based on the Amazon reviews it has stirred considerable contention from relatives of the other claimed originators of the programmable computer. The Atanasoff book was enlightening. I knew from Burks worked on the Eniac. While I was at Penn I worked with a person who had been responsible for electrical support for the Eniac, and he filled me in on its abilities. Did not know of the connection to Holland.
 
I've stumbled across your blog when I done some internet
marketing research in Google. You're doing a pretty nice job
here, keep up the good work :-)

Sincerely,

Tosh
Webmaster/Publisher
computer technology
 
Thanks for offering this great service to learn about knife catalog. I have a website about knife catalog which makes me very interested in what you have going here. I think I am going to start up my own blog so I can spread the news! Thanks you are offering this great service!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?