Wednesday, September 07, 2005

 

Highlights and Lowlights from CEC 2005

I just returned from CEC 2005 in lovely Edinburgh. I'll be honest in saying that I didn't get to attend much of the conference. However, I did see a couple of things I thought were worth sharing.

First, a highlight. David Wolpert gave a keynote on the 10th anniversary of the No Free Lunch theorem. It was very gratifying to see that Mr. Wolpert has no confusion about what's most interesting about NFL: the cases where it does not apply. In particular, he made some interesting comments on systems where you have biases about which problems are important, and systems where problems and solvers are co-evolved (Stuart Kaufman would be most gratified). In both cases, as one would expect, NFL need not apply. Wolpert also commented on how NFL is now being used as a defense of Intelligent Design. He shares my bemused disgust.

Second, a lowlight. I presented a poster (almost everything at CEC was a poster this time) entitled An Iterative Mutual Information Histogram Technique for Linkage Learning in Evolutionary Algorithms. The most common comment was "so, what's linkage?"

Comments:
Still better to hear "so, what's the linkage" than "who cares about the linkage" :-) On a more serious note, I like the thoughts on NFL.
 
I was just surfing and found your nice site. Maybe you'd be interested in visiting my shakira poster site.
 
I agree,

I love NFL. and recently I have bought stock in it. Not like real stock on Wall street, but a stock market that is strictly for sports.

You have seen it? Its pretty cool. You buy issues for your favorite teams and you make real money. Not like a fake stock simulator. I cash out Dividends each time the team wins. Also I can sell my team stock when the price goes up.

check it out if something like this interests you.
heres a link http://allsportsmarket.com
you can log in and check it out for free..

They just released IPO'S for NFL this week, so there are alot of good deals there.

Keep up the good work on your blog!
-Erik
 
Hi, Nice blog you have here. Lots of great info on st louis rams players. I have a st louis rams players related site. It has lots of information, discussion, stats etc. on st louis rams players. Please check it out if you get a chance.
 
GROW IT YOURSELF!
 
I see that you like posters as much as i do. Come check out my poster site.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?